Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


Thanksgiving is tomorrow!  I'm very excited because I *love* thanksgiving dinner, but I'm even more excited because my Mom and Dad are visiting!  I grew up having very traditional thanksgiving meals, and that's how I continue to make holiday meals as an adult.  It's not very exciting or sophisticated of me, but I associate tastes and smells with tradition, and I like remembering holidays from my youth.  They were always very yummy, and sometimes even quite entertaining, depending on the involvement of extended families.  :)

We are having just the four of us tomorrow, so the menu is very simple:
  • turkey (free range, antibiotic free, of course!!)
  • mom's homemade stuffing
  • mashed potatoes (original and cheesy baked)
  • green bean casserole
  • corn
  • turnip
  • carrots
  • cranberry jelly
  • grammy's apple pie
  • cheesecake
  • pumpkin pie (maybe)
I think that's about it - of course, rolls, bread, gravy, salad, etc...  I feel like I'm forgetting something. 

My Mom has been quite concerned about me pulling this meal off.  It's very funny because I think that thanksgiving dinner is one of the easiest meals to make.  It can be a lot to coordinate, but overall, it's really not that bad.  I've probably hosted at least 10 thanksgiving dinners in my adult life.  A mother worries, though, right?  :)

She asked me the other day if I needed her to email me all the components that go into a Thanksgiving dinner.  LOL - I think I got it.  :)  Today, she asked me if I had sent Darcy to the store yet to get the food for tomorrow's meal.  I teasingly told her that we were waiting until tomorrow morning because the store will be open.  She uttered her best protest, while I kept up the ruse, but I finally broke down and told her that the shopping was already done, and boy was she relieved!

My Mother is very funny.  She is making her delicious apple pie for our meal tomorrow, and they don't fly in until this afternoon.  She decided to make the crust at home and bring it with her on the plane to save time.  I just got a call from my parents saying that they pulled my mother over in airport security due to the foreign substance (uncooked pie crust) that they found in her carry on.  They were going to throw it out, but she begged them not to, so they brought over some sort of tester to make sure it wasn't an explosive substance, and the crust was cleared.

"Well you know," my Mom said to me on the phone, "90% of people don't even make their own pie crust these days so no wonder they didn't even know what it was!"  LOL - hilarious.

This is going to be a very fun holiday, and I'm hoping that portion control will save us all.

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that story an dwill probably tell it tomorrow at dinner. Traditions are nice and it's great that you and "the" can spend the day with your parents. I hope they have a great visit while they are here, and you have so much to celebrate this year. You both have jobs (not so last year), your house is in great shape, and you are healthy and happy. Enjoy the day and the pie crust

Alison... said...

aw, Linda Carroll is a very funny lil lady... always with such pure and good intensions!

It's very funny that she was worried that you had no idea how to put together a Thanksgiving dinner [even if it was your first time doing it, there's no doubt it would come out perfectly]...

But the pie crust?

L O L!

Imagine if they detained her for that?

I have the feeling your dad tried to talk her out of smuggling that through the airport?

Oh my HEAD.

Glad you'll be having home made pie for the holiday

and I can't believe you told her that you hadn't shopped yet... naugty.

BTW - Did you see your sister's insane Thanksgiving menu?

22 items!

that's a lot.

oakleyses said...

coach purses, nike air max uk, hollister uk, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, sac vanessa bruno, ray ban uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, converse pas cher, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe run uk, lululemon canada, nike air force, guess pas cher, true religion jeans, mulberry uk, north face uk, hollister pas cher, burberry handbags, ray ban pas cher, uggs outlet, michael kors, michael kors outlet online, new balance, hogan outlet, timberland pas cher, kate spade, oakley pas cher, burberry outlet, replica handbags, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, coach outlet store online, nike free uk, north face, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike tn