Thursday, July 16, 2009

Would you like a little food with your salt?


I desperately need to go grocery shopping. Since I have to pack my breakfast and lunch, my choices have been limited to whatever is handy. I've been doing a great job about not salting my food lately, and that's a big success for me because I love my salt. It's all in vain, however, because the amount of sodium in the processed foods I'm having is insane.
.
Yesterday I had this three cheese rotini thing I bought at Rite Aid over the weekend. It was 340 calories, which is a bit more than I like to spend on a small portion of food, but whatever, BUT the sodium was over 1000 mg! Holy cow.
.
For breakfast today, I wanted something warm because I was sick of the breakfast bars I'd been having, so I grabbed a Campbell's Soup at Hand - only 80 calories! And 980 mgs of sodium! That's disgusting.
.
Here I am cutting back salt, and not even lightly salting my food, but then I'm sucking in the sodium like it's oxygen. This has got to stop.
.
I was up 2 lbs today. I've been eating around 1000 calories/day, so I know it's not overeating - the salt is to blame! It's water weight, and it will probably be there tomorrow too since I just had that salty soup. I've been drinking a ton of water too - since I've been in the office. The air is dry, and with my cough, I need to stay hydrated. I probably drink 20 8 oz. cups/day. I think the salt is trapping all of the water in me. I better be careful, or I may float away!
Clearly, we need to go grocery shopping.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I NEVER look at what is in the food I am eating. I should probably be more diligent about that. I love me my salt as well, perhaps I have been bloated for 43 years??

Alison... said...

Ditto - salt freak here.

I need to try to cut back too.

lanie said...

Yay for you for drinking all that water with high salt consumption! It's the best thing to counter act it! If you drink enough it will act as a natural diuretic- not enough it will hold on to ever ounce for dear life! But you alrealry know that...